I can’t remember the first time I took a sip of iced tea. I imagine I didn’t like it.
However, I must say that iced tea is now my non-alcoholic summer beverage of choice. Unfortunately iced tea tends to have lots of refined sugar in it (which doesn’t bode well with the clean eating diet that I haven’t been sticking to… but I’ll save those details for another post).
So with a challenge set before me, I was on a mission to craft an iced tea which would not require white sugar.
It took a bit of experimenting. Okay, I’ll be completely honest here… it took a lot of experimenting! I’ve made batches of the stuff (maple syrup iced tea anyone)? Finally, after several flopped recipes, I found a suitable substitute. Honey of course! Why I tried maple syrup before honey, I have no idea, but let’s not dwell on that.
Without further ado, here is my recipe for homemade iced tea.Outstanding homemade iced tea made with honey instead of sugar! #recipe Click To Tweet
- 8 cups of water
- 1 bag of green tea
- 2 bags of orange pekoe tea
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp pure unpasteurized honey
- Boil 8 cups of water in a large pot.
- Turn off the heat and add all the tea bags to the water.
- Cover and let steep for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove tea bags.
- Stir in honey until completely dissolved.
- Add 1/2 cup lemon juice.
- Pour into a heat-resistant pitcher.
- Place in the fridge.
- Serve when completely chilled.
Add a mint sprig or a wedge of lemon as a garnish.
Serve over ice.
Do you have a favourite homemade iced tea recipe?
TIME SAVING TIPS FOR MOMS!
Join us for a coffee break with our email updates! You'll get a booklet of 50+ Time Savers for Busy Moms, plus access to our exclusive Subscriber Library!