Are you tired of playdough that’s crumbly or hardens too fast?!
As much as I love the convenience of commercially made playdoughs, I prefer to make my own.
There is great gratification in making something like playdough and then watching your child explore and enjoy it!These three playdough recipes are by far, the BEST playdough recipes EVER! Click To Tweet
Here my top three play dough recipes! These playdough recipes are three of my favourites! They are easy to make and they stay soft for a long time. We make these recipes often. They’re child-tested and approved!
The Best Playdough
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
4 Tbsp. cream of tartar
2 Tbsp. mineral oil (or baby oil)
2 cups water
Food colouring (for vivid colour use about half a bottle)
- Mix dry ingredients in a large pot.
- Mix water, oil and food colouring thoroughly and stir into the dry ingredients.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- When you find it difficult to turn your wooden spoon, it is done.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool slightly, then knead.
- Store in an air-tight container or in a sealed plastic bag.
**Do not place this dough in the refrigerator!**
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
2 packages unsweetened Kool-Aid
2 cups boiling water
2 Tbsp. oil
- Mix flour and salt
- Dissolve the packages of unsweetened Kool-Aid in boiling water
- Add oil
- Add wet ingredient mixture to dry ingredient mixture.
- Stir well.
- Knead when cool.
- Store in an air-tight container.
I love this play dough for the wonderful scents! Grape, orange, cherry, strawberry…. However, the wonderful smell usually makes little children want to eat the dough.
1 cup cornstarch
2 cups baking soda
1 1/4 cups water
1 tsp mineral oil (or baby oil)
- Combine all the ingredients in a large pot.
- Cook over low heat until mixture forms a ball.
- Cool slightly.
- Knead well.
- Store in an air-tight container or sealed plastic bag.
This is a great recipe for children who are allergic to flour. This playdough keeps well in a sealed container, but usually needs a bit of softening and kneading before play.
I love playdough! It’s so much fun squeezing it and squishing it. I love watching my daughter explore it! Playdough gives unlimited creative possibilities. I also find it extremely therapeutic after a stressful day.
Please share your favourite playdough recipes or comment on your own experiences with playdough!