Do you have regular family time activities? Family time is so important. It’s is something we know we should have regularly, but more often than not, it seems impossible.
The meat wasn’t thawed, so supper ended up being 20 minutes later than usual. Your kids are fighting with each other… again. AND you’ve barely tackled your to-do list. At times like these it’s easy to push family time to another time or another day.
But if we don’t make family time a priority, it’s easily forgotten.
Dieter Uchtdorf once said, “in family relationships, love is really spelled T.I.M.E.,” and is this ever true! I once saw an Ikea commercial which showed children writing a letter to the Three Kings (the Santa Claus equivalent) and a letter to their parents. Every child requested that their parents spend more time with them.
This isn’t surprising though, is it?
I know for myself, some of my strongest, happiest, childhood memories were the ones which involved quality family time.
So how do we make family time a priority?Come find out why family time is important, how to create a habit of regular family time, and get 25+ family activity ideas! #familylife #parentingtips Click To Tweet
HOW CAN WE MAKE A HABIT OF FAMILY TIME?
If you want to have regular family time, you need to make a habit of it.
- Choose a day and time that will be set aside for family time. Make sure everyone knows that nothing else is to be scheduled at this time.
- Write your family time on the calendar and set a reminder on your phone.
- Unless there’s a critical emergency, don’t postpone or reschedule family time.
WHAT ARE SOME QUALITY FAMILY TIME ACTIVITIES?
Sometimes it’s easier to schedule family time when you have a planned activity. Here are some ideas for how to spend your quality family time together.
Games are a wonderful way to connect with one another.
- Play a board game.
- Have a few rounds of hide and seek.
- Play conversation games like: “Would You Rather?”
- Try some classic card games (War, Go Fish, Stop the Bus).
PLAY, PLAY, AND PLAY SOME MORE.
Young children often long to play with their parents. Let your imagination come alive. Here are some encouraging tips and ideas for how to play with your children. Some playful ideas are:
- Build a blanket fort.
- Construct something out of blocks.
- Have a tea party.
Sometimes hunkering down in the house is a wonderful way to spend time together.
- Read aloud a book together and discuss it (family book club).
- Look at baby photo albums of the kids and parents!
- Work on a jigsaw puzzle.
- Camp out in the living room.
Fresh air is a wonderful way to connect with one another. The great outdoors is often refreshing and there are plenty of activities to enjoy!
- Do some puddle jumping.
- Build a snowman.
- Take a walk around the neighbourhood.
- Play in the community playground.
- Go for a picnic.
- Do some stargazing.
- Watch clouds floating through the sky.
- Fly a kite.
- Blow some bubbles.
- Watch the sun set.
- Go berry picking.
- Take a trip to the zoo.
- Have a water fight.
IN THE KITCHEN
There’s something special about the kitchen. It’s called the heart of the home for good reason. Spend some family time together in the kitchen.
- Make a giant chocolate chip cookie.
- Have a cook-off challenge (like the TV show, Chopped).
- Make ice cream sundaes.
As you can see, there are plenty of ways to spend quality family time together. Family time activities are easy enough to plan… simply set a date, choose an activity, and have fun!