It started. This weekend. I began to pour out my thoughts and weave a story.
A completely fictional, I made it up, putting everything I have into this… story.
As you may recall, November 1st commenced the NaNoWriMo challenge (30 days to write a 50,000+ word novel). As of Sunday night I was at 7410 words. I’m pleased with my progress but I also have some anxieties….
I’m not going to lie and I’m going to be completely honest here, these are some of the thoughts that have already crossed my mind:
- What was I thinking?
- I don’t have the time for this.
- I’ll never be able to write 50,000 words!
- I’ll be lucky if I hit 15,000.
- I’m going to drink my weight in coffee before the month is over.
- I have to pee but I can’t stop writing now.
- No, I need to stop, I really have to pee.
- Nooooo! I can’t stop, I must keep writing!
- I should have bought Depends undergarments as part of my NaNoWriMo survival kit.
- Jennifer what’s wrong with you?! Just go to the bathroom before you give yourself a UTI.
- Just need to type one more paragraph….
- If I just had one more hand I could drink coffee and keep on typing.
- Ooooh, a catheter and a caffeine IV… that’s what I need.
- I should go to bed.
- I can’t sleep… I keep on thinking of scenes in the book.
- I might as well just write the scenes instead of thinking about them.
- Just go to sleep!
- I shouldn’t have drank so much coffee… that’s why I’m awake.
- Oh my goodness, will I ever sleep again, or am I going to be a manuscript writing zombie for the entire month?!
So the secret is out. When I get into something… I get INTO something. I submerge myself fully and completely. This is my task. This is my mission. This is my challenge.
So let’s say I only write 25,000 words… well, I won’t “win” NaNoWriMo but I’ll still be 25,000 words closer to writing that novel I would have never otherwise written.
You see, the passion isn’t in the outcome but it’s in the journey.
I’m a passionate person. This is my journey. Thank you for meeting me at the beginning of it.
Have you ever entered NaNoWriMo, or something like it? Any tips for a newbie?
TIME SAVING TIPS FOR BUSY MOMS!
Join us for a coffee break with our email updates! You'll get a booklet of 50+ Time Savers for Busy Moms, plus access to our exclusive Subscriber Library!