I’ve been on a sugar-free journey. It’s been over 3 months since I’ve had refined sugar and I’m delighted with my success so far.
A while ago, my parents were babysitting my girls. Apparently in the middle of dinner, my 7-year-old piped up and said, “My mom’s not eating refined sugar anymore. You know what that means… no more cookies.”
Of course, I had no intention of eliminating the odd cookie from her diet but I decided to look for a recipe which all of us could enjoy. I’ve been experimenting with cookie recipes but it’s a challenge to eliminate sugar from cookies. Almost every recipe calls for white sugar, brown sugar, or both!
A few years ago I shared my Breakfast Cookie recipe. I decided to take another look at it and eliminate the brown sugar. The results were fabulous.
Not only was my daughter delighted that I made cookies but she kept saying “I can’t believe these have no sugar in them.”
What a funny girl.
This is a modified recipe from Planet Organic (their Cosmic Cookies recipe). Enjoy!Check out these healthy + delicious cookies! They're free of refined sugar too! #recipe Click To Tweet
- 2 1/4 cups quick oats
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup raw cacao chips
- 1 1/2 cup raisins (or 3/4 cup raisins & 3/4 cup dried cranberries)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2/3 cup maple syrup or agave
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup unsweetened soy or rice milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Combine dry ingredients: from oats to dried cranberries.
- Combine wet ingredients: from honey to soy/rice milk.
- Stir dry and wet ingredients together until just combined.
- Portion cookie dough using 1/3 cup measure and place on baking tray.
- Gently flatten cookies.
- Bake for 22 minutes or until lightly browned.
I hope you enjoy these perfectly healthy (therefore guilt-free) cookies!