My oldest daughter absolutely adores the Maurice Sendak book, Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months.
We had been reading it quite regularly when my daughter asked if we could have chicken soup with rice. I obliged and threw together a recipe of my own. For the past couple of
For the past couple of months, this soup has been a staple in our house, so I figured it was time to share the recipe with you!
- The Ingredients
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 9 cups water
- 4 vegetable bouillon cubes (we like the McCormick brand because it doesn't have MSG in it)
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped (leaves and all)
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 drops Tabasco sauce
- Pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cups long grain brown rice, rinsed well
- Break up and dissolve the bouillon cubes in 1/2 cup warm water.
- Place all the ingredients except the rice in a large pot and bring the ingredients to a rolling boil.
- Add rinsed rice and cook until rice is tender (about 50 minutes).
- Serve with crackers or a batch of our Vegan Biscuits
Of course, once the soup has settled in our bellies, we gather in the living room and dance to Carole King’s song; Chicken Soup With Rice.