Hi there, my name is Meg and I am humbled to be here today from meg-made. I am here to give Jennifer a hug
If I could give her a real hug, I would.If I could send Jennifer a real batch of cookies or a real pie, I would.
But…I’m in London.And so last night I poured all my love and hugs into a Fish Pie and am sending this post in friendship, support and my biggest e-hug possible.
There’s something entirely satisfying about fish and potato together. It is both nourishing and the most comforting comfort food I know.
This recipe was found in a slightly unlikely place, a cookbook for toddler food! Annabel Karmel’s New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner
book has some tried and tested favourites for my daughter Madeleine, but the “Mummy’s Favourite Fish Pie” is a winner with the entire family.
500g potatoes, peeled and diced
4 tablespoons milk
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
1½ tablespoons plain flour
200ml milk, extra
225g firm white fish fillets, skinned and cut into fairly large cubes
225g salmon fillets, skinned and cut into fairly large cubes
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 bay leaf
50g grated cheddar cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Cook the potatoes in a pan of lightly salted water until tender (about 15 minutes), then drain and mash with the 4 tablespoons of milk and half of the butter.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350F.
3. Melt the remaining butter in a heavy-based saucepan and cook the onion for 3 minutes.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
6. Add the milk, bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute.
7. Stir in the fish, parsley and bay leaf, and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and stir in the grated cheese until melted.
8. Divide the fish between 4 ramekin dishes (or a large pie dish) and top with the mashed potato.
9. Brush the potato with lightly beaten egg and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. You can brown the pies under a preheated grill for a few minutes at the end if you wish.
I hope this fish pie warms you from within and gives you a giant big hug if you need one too.
A warm thank you to Meg for this yummy hug all the way from London. I would like to invite everyone back here tomorrow, as I will be launching the SHINE Blog Hop. I knew I was surrounded by an amazing blogging community but this past week has shown me just how fabulous all of you are. So please come back and link your favourite and most beloved posts. Let you and your beautiful blogs SHINE!